Thursday 28 October 2010

Mat's Hat

Hello again! I've been a tad behind with the blogging due to an increased addiction to making, it seems. So here is the first of a few long overdue posts and photographs..

Back in January I agreed to make a hat for Matt Carver, a local electrician, with his business logo on it. Here is the original post. The logo for Lucas Electrics is a kangaroo and I was looking forward to getting stuck into a bit of fair isle knitting. This isn't something I'm massively accomplished at and I really wanted to give it a go.

However it didn't really work in the round, as I realised I'd be using up far too much wool carrying the yarn around when I wasn't using it, and it would make the hat unnecessarily thick. Also I was messing up the tension and spending far too long on it!

In the end I settled for knitting the beanie in the round and then swiss darning the logo on afterwards. This gave a lot more scope for detail and the end result I think is great. I haven't got a photo of Mat in it yet but he does seem to wear it a lot, which can only be a good thing! It's also 100% Merino so it should keep him warm in the winter months.

It also managed to grab the attention of Aussie comedian Adam Hills and played a part in his show! He mentions it in his blog here

No comments: